Recipe: Mom’s Spaghetti and Meatballs
The sauce on this dish is not a thick and chunky sauce like many of you might be used to. It is a light, “soupy” sauce, which complements the seasoned meatballs and pasta perfectly, in my opinion!
For the meatballs
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix (My mom only uses half a package, but I love adding all the flavor)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
Using your hands, combine all the ingredients until well blended. Pinch off pieces of the meat mixture and shape into meatballs. Place in a large stock pot or dutch oven, then follow remaining instructions.
For the sauce:
- 1 Large can (I believe it is 29oz) Hunt’s Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 of can of water
- 2 Teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1 pinch ground cloves (don’t skip this… it is her “secret” ingredient)
In a large bowl, stir together sauce ingredients. Add to the stock pot with the meatballs and stir. Bring sauce to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium low, place the lid on the pot, and cook until meatballs are cooked through. Depending on the size of your meatballs, this will be 30-45 minutes. (You can simmer this over low heat on your stove for a longer period of time, just remember to occasionally stir.).
Serve over thick spaghetti. Make sure to reserve a small amount of your pasta water and toss with your spaghetti after draining. This will help the sauce to stick to the pasta. Now, tuck your napkin in your shirt and enjoy!